The best way to set up your inventory's initial stock levels is by uploading specially-formatted CSV containing your stock level and inventory location information.
In this process, you will:
- Export the Inventory CSV from ShipStation
- Add your inventory values to the CSV
- Import the updated CSV to ShipStation
This process requires product records to have already been created in ShipStation. If you have not uploaded your product records, check out this help article first!
Export ShipStation's Inventory CSV
1. Click Products.
2. Select Inventory from the sidebar on the left.
3. Now that you're on the Inventory grid, click Export.
4. In the new window, choose the "Export ALL active Standalone and Variant products with or without inventory" option, then click Export Now.
5. When the export's complete, click the link in the top right to download the file.
Add Products and Inventory Values
Open the exported CSV. Your existing products will be listed and the CSV will contain the following headers in Row 1:
*Important: Do not edit, add, remove, or move any of the CSV's column headers!
1. Enter the stock levels (and their inventory locations, if applicable) for your products into the corresponding fields. The CSV's Loc1, Loc2, Loc3, and Loc4 columns map to the Area, Unit, Shelf, and Bin portion of the Warehouse Layout, respectively.
*If you have multiple Inventory Warehouses, please note that ShipStation can only import inventory for one Inventory Warehouse at a time.
2. When you're done editing, save it as a CSV.
Import the new CSV
1. Click Import on the Inventory page's action bar.
2. Click Select a File and select your Inventory CSV
3. Select the correct warehouse from the drop down.
4. Click Start Import.
Once your import is complete, your stock levels and locations will be established for that Inventory Warehouse! Repeat this process for each Inventory Warehouse you have stock counts for.
Additional details for the Inventory Import CSV process:
- The SKU and Stock fields are required!
- The CSV's Loc1, Loc2, Loc3, and Loc4 columns map to the Area, Unit, Shelf, and Bin portion of the Warehouse Layout, respectively.
- If you don't specify at least one 'Loc' value during the import, ShipStation will display the Inventory Warehouse Location as (Unspecified).
- You may add additional rows in the CSV that specify additional Inventory Warehouse Locations for a single product, and ShipStation will add them to that SKU.
- You can include multiple Inventory Warehouses on a single CSV file, but to upload the inventory for multiple Inventory Warehouses, you will need to do multiple imports, selecting the Warehouse to apply the import to each time.
If you prefer to load your initial stock levels manually:
You'll first need to manually set up all inventory locations within your Inventory Warehouse (in Settings > Inventory Management > Inventory Warehouses). Once you've done that, click on individual SKUs in the Products grid and click on the Inventory tab. Once there, click Add to Alternate Location to create an initial inventory record for that SKU.)
Also, make sure you have Enable Inventory Tracking turned on so the deductions will happen when the orders are shipped!
Download this sample CSV below to see how the inventory CSV is formatted!