ShipStation can send automatic notification emails to your customers when it receives a Delivered status for the shipment from the carrier. These kinds of emails are great for confirming that all went well with the delivery and also for requesting customer feedback or engagement on social media.
The icon shown in this image gives you at-a-glance knowledge when delivery notifications have been sent! (The icon will turn green.)
Ready to get set up? It only takes three simple steps:
- Confirm that you're using UPS; delivery emails will not be triggered otherwise.
- Customize your own Delivery Notification Email Template (in your Account Settings > Templates > Email Templates > Delivery Notification). Rather than starting from scratch, we recommend that you edit a copy of our Default Delivery Template (of course, you can use the default as-is, if you prefer). Just remember to keep your email about the transaction/purchase to avoid getting caught in spam filters.
- Assign a specific Delivery Notification Email Template to your selling channel.
Head to your Account Settings (the wrench icon in the upper right).
Next, select Selling Channels and then Store Setup from the sidebar on the left.Find the store that needs the delivery email template assignment, click that store's Edit link.
In the Notifications section, find the Delivery Notification Email area, and choose your preferred template.
Don't forget to Save Changes!
Going forward, orders from this store will send out these Delivery Notification Emails when a Delivered status is detected.
You should be all set, but you'll want to keep the following in mind:
- To receive an email, the order must have a valid email address associated with it. Additionally, ShipStation cannot send emails to Amazon encrypted addresses (any email ending in marketplace.amazon.com), nor can we send them for Rakuten/Buy.com orders.
- ShipStation will send the delivery notification once the carrier has updated ShipStation with the Delivered status. This may not happen at the exact time of delivery. Often it can be several hours, or even a day or two before the carrier sends this update.
- Not all services send tracking updates to ShipStation. If the service you have chosen does not send us tracking updates, delivery notifications will not be triggered.
- Your delivery notification email template should specifically refer to transactional details, like the order number and tracking number. If you only include marketing or promotional material without referring to the purchase (e.g. your template only includes a coupon), then your emails may be flagged as spam.
- ShipStation reserves the right to disable this Delivery Notification Email service at any time and for any reason, especially if your customers start flagging your delivery emails as spam.