These instructions apply to our Mac users who need help with the installation and setup of their Zebra thermal printer (such as the Zebra GC420d) in order to print from ShipStation.
If you're installing the printer on your Windows system, please read this article.
Setting up a USB Zebra thermal label printer on your Mac can be done in just a few steps.
- Connect the Zebra printer to your Mac via USB
- Add the Zebra to your Printers & Scanners System Preferences
- Configure your printer defaults in CUPS
Once you've connected your Zebra printer to your Mac through USB, you'll be able to add it right away to your Printers & Scanners System Preferences.
Add the Zebra to your System Preferences
Here's a short GIF illustrating how to add the Zebra GC420d. The individual steps for this process are listed just below.
Go to System Preferences under the Apple Menu () in the top left corner of your screen.
Then click the Printers & Scanners icon.
Next, click the + button under the Printers window.
Click Add Printer or Scanner... from the drop-down menu.
Select the printer you wish to add on the page that appears.
From the Use: drop-down, click Select Software...
In the Printer Software popup, select Zebra EPL Label Printer. Then click Ok.
Once you click Add, the printer will be saved!
You'll then need to set your Zebra printer defaults in CUPS.
Configure your printer defaults in CUPS
CUPS is the term used for the printer configuration settings on a Mac.
In CUPS you will set your default media size and type, so the labels print the correct size and with the best quality.
This process has several steps, so please follow the instructions in the article How do I change my default print settings in Mac OSX in CUPS?
Once you've completed the steps in CUPS, you are finished installing your Zebra printer!
- If you plan to print using ShipStation Connect, please review the article How do I install ShipStation Connect on a Mac? for instructions.
- The Zebra ZP505 model requires the EPL2 driver, which you can select when modifying the printer in CUPS. If the EPL2 driver is not the selected driver, the 505 will print blank labels.