To charge a third party for a UPS or DHL Express shipment, you just need to enter the other party's carrier account information for that specific order.
First, find the order on your Orders tab, and click its order number to open up the Order Details pop-up.
Select a valid UPS or DHL Express service. Then, look for the Other Shipping Options section on the right side of the Details screen.
In the Shipping Account dropdown menu choose Third Party.
Enter the Account #, Billing Country, and Billing Postal Code into the corresponding fields.
Once you've input all the necessary information, you can create the label right away, or simply close the Details screen to ship later. These changes are automatically saved.
If you frequently bill to a specific third party account, you may want to consider automating this process with an Automation Rule. To create an automation rule for third party billing, do the following:
- Go to Settings > Automation > Automation Rules.
- Click +Create a Rule.
- Set your criteria to determine which orders will need third party billing applied.
- Set the first action to apply the correct service and package type*
- Set the second action to apply the third party billing account .
*In order for the third party billing action to apply, a valid service for the carrier account must first be set. Otherwise, the third party billing option will not become enabled for the order.
The rule should look something like this:
This example says to apply the FedEx Ground service, a Package type of Package, and the specified billing account to every order that imports to the New Miva Merchant Store. Your criteria or service selections may differ from the example... you can even use a different automation rule to apply the service, as long as that rule runs prior to the third party billing rule!
A few things to note when using a third party account:
- ShipStation is unable to display shipping rates when billing shipping charges to another party, and the other party will be billed according to their own carrier agreement. Depending on the carrier, there may be an additional fee for using third party billing. For example, currently UPS adds a 2.5% fee.
- When you ship the order, the resulting shipment will be charged to the UPS or DHL Express account number you specified.