Your list of customer records in ShipStation will grow over time since ShipStation automatically generates customer records from orders as they import into the system.
But if you need access to your entire backlog of customer records (e.g., to easily create a label for a call-in order), you'll need to import those records into ShipStation using a specially formatted CSV spreadsheet file. All customers created in this way will be listed under the manual ShipStation marketplace.
You can also update existing customers records by importing the specially formatted CSV spreadsheet file. However ShipStation will only update customers which were created under the manual ShipStation marketplace. ShipStation will not update customers which were created by a connected selling channel or marketplace.
To get started, head to Customers.
Next, click Import in the actions bar.
In this window, click the link to Download a sample CSV file.
This sample CSV is available for download at the bottom of this article.
If you're already familiar with our Customer Import format, click here to skip ahead.
Your CSV Import file must include the same headers in the same order. Notice that, in addition to the typical address book type fields, there's a Username column. ShipStation requires unique values in the Username field to tell your customers apart, so if you don't have a specific username to enter here, simply list their email addresses here as well as the email field.
Here's a quick list of the required fields:
- Address Line 1
- Postal Code
- Country Code (2-character code)
- ...and at least one of the following: Full Name, First Name, Last Name, or Company Name
When you're certain that your file has the required headers, in the required order, with the required fields populated, click Select a File to pick your CSV.
Then, tell ShipStation what it should do if your CSV includes a username that's already in use by an existing customer record:
- Update the existing record with the CSV
- Will create new customer record if username is not currently in use by the manual ShipStation marketplace.
- If username is already in use by a manual ShipStation marketplace, ShipStation will update the existing customer record.
NOTE: Customer records created by marketplaces or selling channels will not be updated, even if the username on the CSV file matches.
- Ignore the record in the CSV. Only customers with new usernames will import.
- Will only create new customer record if username is not currently in use by any marketplace.
- If username is already in use by any marketplace, the row on the CSV file will be ignored.
Once you've made your choice, click Start Import.
Since you'll be notified when the import process is complete, feel free to close the import window!