These instructions apply to our Windows users who need help with the installation and setup of their DYMO LabelWriter 4XL Thermal Printer in order to print from ShipStation. See this article for DYMO LabelWriter 4XL instructions for Mac.
Setting up your DYMO LabelWriter to print in Windows requires three general step:
- Download and install the correct printer driver
- Add the printer to your Devices and Printers Control Panel
- Configure the printer's preferences
Download and install the DYMO printer driver
Download the latest Windows driver available from the DYMO support website. If you installed the built-in driver, please uninstall it, and download the latest Windows driver from the DYMO website. Make sure that the printer is not connected to the computer while you install the driver.
Once the driver has been successfully downloaded, launch the driver .exe file from your downloads folder and follow the instructions for the installation.
Once complete, plug the DYMO USB cable into the computer.
Add the DYMO LabelWriter to the Devices and Printers Control Panel
Now that the driver has been successfully installed, go to your Devices and Printers in the Control Panel.
If you have trouble locating your Control Panel, check out this article on the Microsoft help site.
Click Add a Printer and select your DYMO from the list of connected printers.
Configure the printer preferences
The following gif illustrates the next steps (which are listed below):
In the Devices and Printers window, right-click the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL icon and click Printing Preferences.
In the Printing Preferences popup, make sure the Orientation is set to Portrait, then click Advanced.
Set the Paper Size to match your DYMO label size (this should be 104mm x 159mm, though our example uses the American 4 in x 6 in option) and set the Print Quality to Barcodes and Graphics.
Make sure to also match the other settings in the screenshot below. Then click OK.
Click Apply and OK and you'll be ready to print to your DYMO!
A few important tips about using DYMO printers:
- The labels should be snug on the spool; there shouldn't be any space in between the two plastic pieces holding the spool in place.
- The cutout on the label strip should be on the left side of the printer.
- Only DYMO labels are compatible with the LabelWriter, so make sure that you're using DYMO brand labels.
- Regularly cleaning the optical sensor with the cleaning card that was included is a good habit!
If you plan to print using ShipStation Connect, please go to this article for instructions on installing ShipStation Connect for Windows.