Introduction: By default, ShipStation sets your labels and packing slips to print inline. That is, the label will print first, and its corresponding packing slip will print inline after it. However, you can tell ShipStation to print labels and packing slips from separate printers. For example, if you'd like to use your label printer just for labels, and also have full-sized 8.5"x11" packing slips.
This setup requires the following steps:
- Change your label document options to print labels without the packing slips*
- Change your packing slip document options to print your packing slips to the appropriate format
- Set default printers for both your labels and packing slips (optional)
Keep in mind that this configuration will require two print actions. ShipStation does not currently send label and packing slip print jobs simultaneously if your document options are not set to print packing slips inline with your labels.
NOTE: One important setting in the Label Document Options window is Order Labels by. This setting determines the print sequence for both labels and packing slips when printing a batch of orders (that is, more than one order at a time). This setting ensures you can easily match the labels to the corresponding packing slips.
Steps to Change Label Document Options
1. Go to your Account Settings (the wrench icon in the upper right).
2. Select Printing and then Printing Setup from the left-hand sidebar.
The Document Format column displays your current selected format (this will show whether packing slips are set to print with the labels). In this example, packing slips and labels are set to print together to an 8.5x11 printer.
3. Click Document Options to change this setting.
Here, you can choose your printing format. Select the format appropriate for your label printer that does not include packing slips.
4. Save your changes.
Your labels and packing slips are now set to print separately. Next, set your packing slip document options.
Steps to Change Packing Slip Document Options
1. Open Document Options for your packing slips.
2. In the Packing Slip options window, choose the format you'd like your packing slips to print to:
|Use if you are printing your packing slips to a 4x6 thermal printer|
(2 per page)
|Use if you wish to print 2 packing slips to a single 8.5x11 sheet. The packing slips will print in a landscape mode.|
|use if you wish to print a single packing slip to an 8.5x11 sheet. The packing slips will print in portrait mode.|
3. Save your changes.
Your packing slip is now set to print to your preferred format.
To make your printing process more efficient, you may wish to assign default printers for both your labels and your packing slips. This allows you to skip the printer selection screen during your printing process.
Steps to Set the Default Printers
1. To assign a specific printer to be the default printer for your various documents, click Always Prompt under the Print To column:
A print dialogue box like this one will appear:
2. To select a specific printer, choose ShipStation Connect. You can then select any printer available through ShipStation Connect.
NOTE: if this computer is not your Printer Workstation (that is, the printers are physically connected to a different computer), those printers must be shared in the ShipStation Connect settings before they are visible to other users.
Read How can ShipStation print directly to my printer? for more information on printing using ShipStation Connect.
3. Finally, if you are using custom packing slips, be sure to assign them to the correct selling channel. Read How can I assign emails and packing slips to specific stores/marketplaces? to learn more.