For UK ShipStation accounts, users with Royal Mail Online Business Accounts (OBA) can create Royal Mail labels directly in ShipStation the same way labels for other carriers are created. ShipStation's integration with Royal Mail does have a few unique features, though, so read the article below for more information.
If you have not connected your Royal Mail OBA account to ShipStation yet, review the instructions in the article How do I connect Royal Mail to ShipStation?
This article covers:
- Creating a Royal Mail label
- Tracking Royal Mail shipments
- Royal Mail Account & Services in ShipStation
- Account Limitations when using Royal Mail
Create a Label for a Royal Mail Service
Once ShipStation has configured your Royal Mail connection, you'll receive an email letting you know you are ready to create Royal Mail labels.
Royal Mail automatically sends your active services to ShipStation, which will show up in the Services drop-down menu in both the Orders tab sidebar and the Order Details sidebar:
From here, the process to create a label is the same as with any other carrier. Simply select the service you'd like to use, select your package type, and enter the package weight and dimensions.
When you are ready, click Create Label.
- To learn how to update information for multiple orders at once, read about applying bulk updates.
- To learn about using Automation Rules to automatically update orders when they import, view the short video in this article.
- To learn about creating multiple labels at once, read about using batches.
For Royal Mail services, Tracked Services are services that start with "T" and Standard Services are services that do not.
Tracking Royal Mail Shipments
Shipments with tracking will display a tracking number in the Tracking # column in the Shipments tab. This include Tracked services and Standard services with a Signature Confirmation enabled. Standard services with No Signature selected will not display any tracking information in this column.
To track your shipment, simply click the tracking number. A new window will open to the Royal Mail tracking page, where you can view the tracking information for the selected shipment.
Royal Mail does not send any tracking event information back to ShipStation, which means ShipStation cannot display if a package is in transit or has been delivered. The Track Shipments action button will not update Royal Mail shipment tracking in ShipStation.
Royal Mail Account & Services
Royal Mail will appear in your list of available carriers in Settings > Carriers & Fulfillment and will indicate how many active services you have available on your account.
To view your active services, click on the # Services link. All 130+ Royal Mail services will be listed in the popup window. Services active on your Royal Mail account will be enabled by default (indicated by a check mark). ShipStation connects automatically with Royal Mail to update your active services every three hours.
- If you wish to enable or disable services on your Royal Mail account, you must do so through your OBA account page. Checking and unchecking the service options in ShipStation will not activate or deactivate these services at the account level.
- If you would like to simply hide a service type in ShipStation because you do not plan to create labels with that service, unchecking the service in this window will remove the service from your services drop-down menu, but it will not deactivate the service on your account.
Account Limitations when using Royal Mail
- Royal Mail does not currently allow 3rd party apps, like ShipStation, to connect to their Rates API, so ShipStation cannot currently display rates for Royal Mail labels.
- Royal Mail requires you to submit an End of Day through ShipStation. This will generate a Sales Order Summary, which you can then print if necessary. Once submitted, ShipStation sends your shipment information back to Royal Mail and you can view your shipment fees through your OBA account.
- While ShipStation does display a tracking number for shipments that include tracking, Royal Mail tracking events do not update in ShipStation. All tracking must be done within the linked Royal Mail website's tracking page. This also means the following features cannot be used with Royal Mail shipments:
- Delayed marketplace notifications
- Delayed customer email notifications
- Delivery email notifications
- Branded Tracking Page
- ShipStation does not generate customs forms for Royal Mail shipments. These will need to be generated outside of ShipStation. For printable customs form templates, as well as country-specific requirements for customs forms, check the following links:
- Royal Mail labels do not currently support adding logos to the label
- Royal Mail currently supports creating return labels in ShipStation for return approved services (i.e., tracked 24 and 48).
If there is a feature you'd like to see in ShipStation for Royal Mail, please consider letting our product team know on our Product Feedback Forum!