This article explains the following ShipStation features:
- Create multiple usernames in ShipStation to give individuals in your organization their own unique access to ShipStation.
- Assign usernames, passwords, emails, and permissions specific to an individual's role.
- Edit a user to change the Name or Email address associated with their login, and
- Change a user's permissions at any time.
Adding a New User
1. Go to your Account Settings (the wrench icon in the upper right).
2. Select Account and then User Management from the left-hand sidebar.
3. Click on Add a User Account.
NOTE: Depending on your plan level and how many users are already set up, you may need to make a user inactive before creating a new one so that you don't go over your limit. To do this, edit an existing user and uncheck the box next to Active and click Save.
4. Fill in the appropriate information for this user, such as their username*, password, e-mail address, and name.
IMPORTANT: *Usernames must be unique across all of ShipStation. If a username is in use by another account, ShipStation will prompt you to use a different username.
5. Set up the specific role and restrictions for a user when creating them, or by Editing the user later.
6. Click on the Permissions tab.
7. Decide which level of permissions you want this user to have. Choose more than one option, or choose the Administration option, which effectively selects all of them, giving that user full access to the account.
8. Click on the Restrictions tab to add any restrictions to this user. These options allow you to restrict what orders and/or shipments that user can see and what workstations they can log into.
9. Click Save once you've set your user preferences.
Editing a User
To edit a user you have already created...
1. Go to Settings > Account > User Management.
2. Click Edit next to the user you would like to edit.
Tips for Creating or Editing Users
- If you have reached your maximum number of users on your plan, go to Settings > Account > Subscription and click Change Your Subscription to increase your user limit. Then enter the total number of additional users you'd like to add to your account.
Each additional user above your plan limit is $5/month.
- You cannot edit a username once a user is created. Only the Name, Email address, Password and permissions/restrictions can be changed. To create a user with a new username, you will need to add a new user, then set the old user to inactive.
For Starter and Bronze plans (limited to one user only), do one of two things:
1) Add a user to your plan following the instructions above, create the new user then set the old one to inactive, then edit your subscription to once again set it to 0 additional users.
2) Contact technical support for assistance in creating a new user and deactivating the old one without changing your subscription settings.
- Usernames must be unique across all of ShipStation, not just your account. If you attempt to create a username that is already in use, ShipStation will prompt you to try a different one.
- To avoid any system errors, make sure your username contains only ASCII characters.
Please read our article Why can't I delete an existing user? to learn how to make a user inactive.