ShipStation provides a number of optional settings to automatically fill in customs details and speed up the processing of international orders.
This article discusses the global default settings that effect customs forms generated for all international shipments.
Set Default Customs Information
1. Head to your Account Settings (the wrench icon in the upper right).
2. Select Shipping and then International Settings from the sidebar on the left.
3. From here, you'll be able to define default customs information for all international orders. Adjusting these settings will affect future orders when they import into ShipStation.
Default Content Type: The general content description for the shipment.
- Returns Goods
Non-Delivery Option: Dictates what the carrier should do in the event a package cannot be delivered.
- Return to sender: Carrier will return shipment, at your cost
- Treat as abandoned: Carrier will destroy the package
Customs Declarations: Controls how ShipStation will generate customs declarations line items.
- Create declarations from order items: Will use the quantity, name, and item price imported from the marketplace (unless customs information is defined as product defaults).
- Use pre-defined values: Will use the information entered here for all declarations on your international orders. This means the declarations will not be adjusted based on the quantity or cost of items within an order. To be used only if you wish your customs declarations to be the same for all international orders.
- Leave blank (enter manually): No customs declarations will be automatically created for your orders. Use this option if you wish to manually create your customs declarations on an order-by-order basis.
Sign Customs As: Allows you to define the name that will appear on customs documentation as the signer. Generally, you want this to be your actual name versus your company's name.
Please note: Stamps.com, Express 1, and FedEx are only able to sign customs forms with the Return Address Name listed in the Ship From Location selected for the order.
Would you like to use your ITN/Tax ID or USPS Exemption Code for AES: Allows you to designate a specific ITN/Tax ID or USPS Exemption code for all international shipments.
- ITN/Tax ID: Allows you to define the id value, and choose whether it applies to all shipments or only shipments valued at over $2500.
Only applies to Express1, Stamps.com, and UPS shipments.
- USPS Exemption Code: Choose from a list of pre-defined USPS Exception Codes.
Only applies to Express1 and Stamps.com shipments.
Send non-trackable Tracking Numbers to Marketplaces: If enabled, ShipStation will include the non-trackable USPS First Class Mail International tracking numbers when pushing shipment updates to the marketplace. This setting will also trigger ShipStation to send non-trackable tracking numbers for non-tracked domestic shipping services like USPS First Class Mail using envelope package types. This setting only applies to USPS shipments.
Customs Declarations in an Order
You can view each order's customs declarations within its Order Details window and edit there, if necessary:
For information on viewing and printing customs forms, please review the article Where can I find my customs forms?