ShipStation can automatically populate customs information at the product level in two ways.
- Based on the product description and value imported from the marketplace
- Based on the product defaults configured in ShipStation
Description and Value Imported from Marketplace
1. Head to your Account Settings (the wrench icon in the upper right).
2. Select Shipping and then International Settings from the sidebar on the left.
3. Set the Customs Declarations drop-down menu to Create declarations from order items, under the Default Customs Information section.
Save the changes.
Going forward, your order's customs declarations will use the item description and value imported from the selling channel the order imported from.
Here is a sample of a USPS integrated customs label with this information:
If you would like to override the product description and value from the marketplace, you can do this by setting up product defaults for your items.
With this option, the Customs settings in the product record override the values imported by the marketplace. This is a good way to simplify your declarations statement.
1. Go to the Products tab and click on the product SKU (or Item Name) of the product you'd like to modify.
2. Click the Customs tab in the Product Defaults window.
3. Enter a short description of the item. In this example, the original product name was 16" Necklace Chain Silver with Catch Clasp. This example shortens the name to Necklace.
You can also set the Declared Value, Harmonization Code, and Origin Country at the item level in this section. For more information on US customs regulations, please review the U.S. Customs and Border Protection webpage).
4. Save your changes.
Now ShipStation will override the marketplace description with your updated information for this item. You can update this information in bulk as well, by using the product import CSV option.
Global Customs Settings
If all of your products can fall under the same description, you can instead use the global customs settings.
1. Go to Settings > Shipping > International Settings.
2. Choose Use Pre-Defined Values from the Customs Declarations drop-down menu.
3. Enter the customs information that all your orders should use into the appropriate fields.
These settings will override all product defaults and marketplace item information and make your customs declarations the same for all orders.