Setting up a USB 4" x 6" Zebra label printer on your Mac requires three general steps.
- Connect the Zebra printer to your Mac via USB
- Add the Zebra to your Printers & Scanners System Preferences
- Configure your printer defaults in CUPS
If you don't have a ShipStation account and would like to save time and money while shipping, sign up for a ShipStation trial here.
- These instructions apply to our Mac users who need help with the installation and setup of their Zebra thermal printer (such as the Zebra GC420d) in order to print from ShipStation.
- If you're installing the printer on your Windows system, please read this article.
Connect Your Zebra Printer to Your Mac through USB
1. Connect your Zebra printer to your Mac through USB. Once you've done this, you'll be able to add it right away to your Printers & Scanners System Preferences.
Add the Zebra to your System Preferences
This short GIF illustrates how to add the Zebra GC420d. We list the individual steps for this process just below.
1. Go to System Preferences under the Apple Menu () in the top-left corner of your computer screen.
2. Click the Printers & Scanners icon.
3. Click the + button under the Printers window.
4. Click Add Printer or Scanner... from the drop-down menu.
5. Select the printer you wish to add on the page that appears.
6. Click Select Software... from the Use: drop-down menu.
7. Select the driver for your printer in the Printer Software pop-up.
Below are the commonly used drivers for different models of printers.
If you have any questions about which driver works best, reach out to our support team for further assistance.
8. Click Add and you have saved the printer!
Configure your printer defaults in CUPS
CUPS is the term used for the printer configuration settings on a Mac.
1. Set your default media size and type in CUPS so the labels print the correct size and with the best quality.
2. Follow the instructions in the article How do I change my default print settings in Mac OSX in CUPS? because this process has several steps.
Once you've completed the steps in CUPS, you are finished installing your Zebra printer!
- If you plan to print using ShipStation Connect, please review the article How do I install ShipStation Connect on a Mac?
- The Zebra ZP505 model requires the EPL2 driver, which can be selected when modifying the printer in CUPS. If the EPL2 driver is not the selected driver, the 505 will print blank labels.