These instructions apply to our Windows users who need help with the installation and setup of their DYMO LabelWriter 4XL Thermal Printer in order to print from ShipStation.
See this article for DYMO LabelWriter 4XL instructions for Mac.
Setting up your DYMO LabelWriter to print in Windows requires three general steps:
- Download and install the correct printer driver
- Add the printer to your Devices and Printers Control Panel
- Configure the printer's preferences
If you would like to learn more about setting up this printer, as well as save time and money while shipping, sign up for a ShipStation trial here.
Download and Install the DYMO Printer Driver
1. Download the latest Windows driver available from the DYMO support website. If you installed the built-in driver, please uninstall it, and download the latest Windows driver from the DYMO website.
NOTE: Make sure that the printer is not connected to the computer while you install the driver.
2. Launch the driver .exe file from your downloads folder and follow the instructions for the installation once the driver has been successfully downloaded.
3. Plug the DYMO USB cable into the computer once the driver installation is complete.
Add the DYMO LabelWriter to the Devices and Printers Control Panel
1. Go to your Devices and Printers folder from the Control Panel now that the driver has been successfully installed.
TIP: If you have trouble locating your Control Panel, check out this article on the Microsoft help site.
2. Click Add a Printer and select your DYMO from the list of connected printers that appears.
Configure the Printer Preferences
The following screen capture illustrates the next steps:
1. Right-click the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL icon and click Printing Preferences on the Devices and Printers page.
2. Make sure the Orientation is set to Portrait, then click Advanced in the Printing Preferences popup.
3. Set the Paper Size to 1744907 4 in x 6 in and set the Print Quality to Barcodes and Graphics.
4. Make sure to also match the other settings in the screenshot below. Then click OK.
5. Click Apply and OK on the Printing Preferences page, and you'll be ready to print to your DYMO!
TIPS about DYMO printers:
- The labels should be snug on the spool; there shouldn't be any space in between the two plastic pieces holding the spool in place.
- The cutout on the label strip should be on the left side of the printer.
- Only DYMO labels are compatible with the LabelWriter, so make sure that you're using those brand of labels.
- Regularly cleaning the optical sensor with the cleaning card that was included is a good habit!
Read our article How do I install ShipStation Connect on Windows? for instructions on installing ShipStation Connect for Windows if you plan to print using ShipStation Connect.