If you need to ship only part of an order, ShipStation allows you to split up the order into multiple orders that you can ship at different times.
|If you are using ShipStation V3, check out our article Split Items into Shipments, which goes over the V3 equivalent to the Split Order action.|
Splitting an Order
1. Go to the Orders tab, and select the order that you need to split.
2. Click Other Actions in the actions bar, then choose Split Order.
3. In the new window, notice that ShipStation automatically adds a suffix (e.g., -1 or -2) to the order number (this is to differentiate split orders from the original).
- For BigCommerce or Magento orders, you should remove the suffix and retain the original order number. These selling channels (as well as others that support partial shipments) will only recognize the original order number when we let them know an order has partially shipped.
- You can also apply tags to the split order in this window (for example, add a Backorder tag to the split order so the warehouse staff knows not to process the order yet).
4. Identify the items and quantity you’d like on the new order, and input the cost of the items that you are moving from one order to another.
5. Enter the Amount Paid, Shipping Paid, and Tax Paid if you would like to split the totals.
6. Click Confirm.
You'll now have two orders instead of one!
- Not all selling channels will accept a shipment notification for the split order. Those that do often require the order number to be exactly the same. In these cases, be sure to remove the -# suffix before confirming the split process.
- The split action will be logged in the order's Order Activity section, but the activity prior to the split will not be copied to the new order.
- We do not recommend attempting to recombine orders after a split. This can cause unexpected results when notifying the selling channel once the order has shipped.
- Never split or combine in ShipStation any orders imported from Amazon.
- Whenever possible, split (or combine) orders directly in the selling channel before they import into ShipStation.
- Once you split an order, ShipStation will no longer import the marketplace status for that order. You will need to manually update the status of the ShipStation orders if the original order is shipped or cancelled on the marketplace.