Setting up your Zebra printer to print in Windows requires three general steps:
- Download and install the correct printer driver
- Add the printer to your Devices and Printers Control Panel
- Configure the printer's preferences
If you don't currently have a ShipStation account and would like to save time and money while shipping, sign up for a ShipStation trial here.
- These instructions apply to our Windows users who need help with the installation and setup of their Zebra thermal printer (such as the Zebra GC420d) in order to print from ShipStation.
- If you're installing the printer on your Mac, please read this article.
TIP: For most Zebra printers, we recommend installing the Seagull Scientific driver. When installing the driver, make sure your printer is not connected to your computer.
NOTE: The Zebra ZP500, ZP500Plus, and ZP505 models require the FedEx-specific driver.
Download and Install the Printer Driver
1. Download the correct driver for your model Zebra printer.
2. Launch the .exe file from the downloads folder and follow the onscreen instructions once you've downloaded the driver.
3. Plug the printer back into the computer once you've installed the driver. Your computer will now automatically match this printer to the downloaded driver.
Add Your Printer to Your Devices and Printer's Control Panel
1. Go to the View Devices and Printers section of your computer's Control Panel.
TIP: Check out Microsoft's article Where is Control Panel? for help locating your Control Panel.
2. Click Add a Printer and select your Zebra printer from the list of connected printers that appears.
3. Configure the print settings to make sure that your labels will print out correctly.
Configure the Printer's Preferences
The following screen capture illustrates the next steps:
1. Right-click the desired printer, and click Printing Preferences on the Devices and Printers page.
2. Check that your Stock Name (paper size) is set to 4.00" x 6.00" on the Page Setup tab.
3. Go to the Graphics tab and set Dithering to None. Typically, the Resolution should be 203 dpi, however, certain models of Zebra may use 300 dpi. Check the Zebra support site for your specific printer's specifications.
4. Go to the Options tab.
5. Click Absolute in the Darkness settings and slide the darkness to 13. This is the recommended darkness, but you may find that certain OSs, carriers, or printer models need this adjusted.
6. Click Apply and Ok. Now your printer is ready to print!
TIP: If you plan to print using ShipStation Connect, please review the article How do I install ShipStation Connect on Windows?