This article explains how to...
TIP: If you don't yet have a ShipStation account and would like to save time and money while shipping, sign up for a ShipStation trial here.
To edit the default settings for a printer on a Mac, you must edit your CUPS (Apple's printing software) settings. CUPS is the open-source printing system Apple uses that allows you to set up a printer on a Mac.
Before we get started, make sure that you have already set up your label printer on your computer. Please see these articles for instructions on how to set up your printer with ShipStation:
Once you've confirmed your printer is added correctly in System Preferences, open your internet browser and type (or paste) the following link into your browser's address bar:
NOTE: If you receive a web interface error that means your Mac is not yet configured to allow access to CUPS. You'll need to enable this option in the Terminal utility app. If you are able to access CUPS, skip the step involving the Terminal app.
Enable CUPS in Terminal
1. Open Terminal from the Spotlight Search in the upper-righthand corner on the Menu Bar of your computer screen.
2. In Terminal, copy and paste the following command after the $ sign:
3. Press Return on your keyboard. Terminal will update with the following highlighted information:
4. Quit Terminal and go back to your internet browser.
5. Type the following link into your browser's address bar once again:
That's all you need to do! You should now see a list with your printer(s).
Set Default Options
1. Click on the printer you wish to edit. For this example, we are configuring the Zebra LP 2844:
2. Click the Administration drop-down menu and choose Set Default Options.
3. Enter your computer's admin user credentials if a popup Authentication Required appears.
IMPORTANT: If the password has been forgotten, you MUST contact Apple support. They can be reached at 1-800-MY-APPLE (800-692-7753).
You should now be in General Options.
4. Change Media Size to 4.00 x 6.00.
5. Click Printer Settings at the top.
IMPORTANT: Do not click Set Default Options just yet.
6. Adjust the Darkness and Print Rate on Printer Settings:
Print Rate: 2 inches/sec.
7. Click Set Default Options.
Congratulations, you're done! You should now see a message similar to the image below.