Occasionally, you may need to update an order as shipped even though no shipping label was created in ShipStation. This article outlines the steps to manually update an order to the Shipped status in ShipStation and send notifications to the marketplace or customer.
A few examples of when to use the Mark as Shipped feature:
- A customer picks up an order in person
- A drop-shipper or 3PL ships an order outside of ShipStation
- You ship with a carrier or fulfillment account not currently connected to ShipStation
|If you are using ShipStation V3, check out our article Mark a Shipment as Complete, which goes over the V3 equivalent to the Mark as Shipped action.|
- Select the desired orders from the Orders screen (either individual or multiple orders)
- Click Other Actions > Mark as Shipped
- Enter the Shipment information.
- Click the Mark as Shipped button.
Step 1: Locate the desired order(s) on the Orders page.
Step 2: Select the order(s) by checking the order checkbox on the far left of the order grid. Keep in mind, you can select individual orders or multiple orders at a time when marking as shipped.
Step 3: Click the Other Actions button and select Mark as Shipped.
Step 4: Enter the information as needed for the order.
- Carrier is required (if your carrier is not listed or it was an in-store pickup, choose Other).
- A tracking number is optional but we recommend entering it if available.
Step 5 (optional): Click the checkboxes to Notify Customer, Notify Marketplace, or Deduct Inventory as needed.
You can also change the Ship Date in this window. An explanation of each option is included at the end of the article.
To check all boxes for all orders at once, click the blue headers.
To remove an order from the list, simply hover over the order and click the X to the far right.
Step 6: Once you have completed the above steps, click Mark as Shipped.
Check out this quick video to see how to mark an order as shipped.
- Tracking Number: Sets the Tracking Number for the fulfillment record. If notifications are sent, the tracking number will be included in the notifications.
- Carrier: Required. Sets the Carrier for the fulfillment record. If notifications are sent, the carrier in the notifications. Also determines the base tracking URL which will be used for tracking links.
- Ship Date: Sets the Ship Date for the fulfillment record. This is useful to help manage fulfillment records more accurately in the Shipments tab.
- Notify Customer: Sends a shipment notification email from ShipStation to the customer.
- Notify Marketplace: Sends a shipment notification to the marketplace so the marketplace can update the order status appropriately. The notification includes the carrier and tracking information, when available.
- Deduct Inventory: Removes stock from a product's inventory in ShipStation. Select this option if you are using ShipStation's Native Inventory solution.
- When you mark an order as shipped, ShipStation will create a fulfillment record on the Shipments tab so you can review the information later as needed.
- ShipStation does not currently track shipments for orders which were Marked as Shipped but will hyperlink the tracking number so you can easily track the package on the carrier's website.
- Orders Marked as Shipped count against your monthly shipment limit. If this is a concern, you can change the order status through your selling channel instead, which will cause ShipStation to update the order status to Shipped the next time the selling channel refreshes.
- Alternately, you can cancel the order in ShipStation, which removes the order from Awaiting Shipment and adds it to the Cancelled section. This method is not ideal for reporting purposes.
- If you use ChannelAdvisor, you may encounter errors if carriers have been set up incorrectly in your ChannelAdvisor account.
- For information on using the Mark as Shipped Bulk option, check out the article How can I bulk update orders with tracking information via copy/paste?