These instructions apply to our Mac users who need help with the installation and setup of their DYMO LabelWriter 4XL Thermal Printer in order to print from ShipStation. If you need help installing the printer on Windows, please use this article.
Setting up a DYMO LabelWriter 4XL label printer on your Mac can be done in just a few steps...
- Connect the DYMO to your Mac via USB
- Add the DYMO to your Printers & Scanners System Preferences
- Configure your printer defaults in CUPS
Add the DYMO to the Printers & Scanners System Preferences
Once you've connected your DYMO to your Mac through USB, you'll be able to add it right away to your Printers & Scanners System Preferences.
Here's a short GIF illustrating how to add the DYMO 4XL. The individual steps for this process are listed just below.
Click on System Preferences under the Apple Menu () in the top left corner of your computer screen.
Then click the Printers & Scanners icon.
Next, click the + button under the Printers window.
Click Add Printer or Scanner from the drop-down menu.
Here, select the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL that is listed as connected via USB.
Once you click Add, the printer will be saved!
You'll then need to set your DYMO printer defaults in CUPS.
Configure your printer defaults in CUPS
CUPS is the term used for the printer configuration settings on a Mac.
In CUPS you will set your default media size and type, so the labels print the correct size and with the best quality.
This process has several steps, so please follow the instructions in the article How do I change my default print settings in Mac OSX in CUPS?
Note: If you are not able to locate your correct label size in CUPS, your Mac may not have the proper DYMO software installed. CLICK HERE to download it.
Congratulations, you finished installing your DYMO printer!
With DYMO printers:
- The labels should be snug on the spool; there shouldn't be any space in between the two plastic pieces holding the spool in place.
- The cutout on the label strip should be on the left side of the printer.
- Only DYMO labels are compatible with the LabelWriter, so make sure that you're using the DYMO brand of labels.
- Regularly cleaning the optical sensor with the cleaning card that was included with the printer is a good habit!
Finally, if you plan to print using ShipStation Connect, please review the article How do I install ShipStation Connect on a Mac? for instructions.