Summary: This article defines Scan to View barcodes and explains ...
A Scan to View barcode is the default barcode that appears as the last element of ShipStation's default packing slips. This barcode allows you to use a barcode scanner in any tab of the ShipStation interface to pull up the details of that order.
Scan to View speeds things up if you scan packing slip barcodes as part of your order fulfillment or returns management workflow.
The default packing slip will look similar to this:
When you scan it with your USB barcode scanner, the Order Detail screen for the corresponding order will appear, no matter where you are in the ShipStation application.
KEY POINT: You won't need to use our existing Barcode Search key command since the Scan to View barcode contains a unique order value that brings up the right order every time!
Turn the Scan to View barcode on or off for your default packing slips by following the steps below.
1. Go to your Account Settings (the wrench icon in the upper right).
2. Select Printing and then Printing Setup from the left-hand sidebar.
3. Find the row for Packing Slips and click its Document Options link.
4. Ensure you've checked the appropriate box to enable Scan to View (or removed the checkmark) and click Save Changes!
To make your workflow even more efficient, consider using a hotkey to assign a shipping preset then immediately create a label as soon as the order details window appears. Check our article Does ShipStation have any hotkeys or keyboard shortcuts? for more information about hotkeys.
- You can add the Scan to View barcode to custom packing slip templates created before this feature was released, as long as you have a Silver-level plan or higher.
- The Scan to View barcode is only supported when using the US QWERTY keyboard layout style. Other keyboard styles may move or replace certain characters and thus prevent the scan action from working.
Scan using your iPhone!
Scan these barcodes using the ShipStation mobile app!
1. Open the ShipStation Mobile app, and head to the Orders tab.
2. Click the vertical ellipsis (tri-colon) to view more options, and tap Scan Barcode.
3. Center the barcode on the screen with the red line, and it will automatically scan the barcode.
This scan will pull up the order in the mobile app!