Inventory Locations are a way to show the specific location of a product within your Inventory Warehouse.
- Show specific Area, Unit, Shelf, and Bin values (for example, A1-U7-S12-B40) or
- Show (Unspecified).
Unspecified means your product is 'in the warehouse.' This distinction is not an error, and inventory locations are not required in ShipStation. Unspecified denotes that you have not yet set up a location or do not need to specify where inventory is housed within a warehouse.
But, if your warehouse consists of aisles, rows, and bins, with warehouse locations like A1-U7-S12-B40, then this article explains how to display this within ShipStation.
NOTE: If you have a lot of SKUs and possible inventory locations, use the Inventory CSV import method to save you time and clicks. Since you can assign Inventory Locations in the CSV, ShipStation will automatically create them during the import process.
Manually Add Inventory Locations to Your Inventory Warehouse
1. Go to your Account Settings (the wrench icon in the upper right).
2. Select Inventory Management and then Inventory Warehouses from the left-hand sidebar.
3. Click the Manage Locations link for an existing Inventory Warehouse.
4. Click the Warehouse Layout dropdown in the top right of the pop-up window. Configure how detailed you want your inventory locations to be for each warehouse. The options are Area, Unit, Shelf, and Bin.
Eventually, this window will list all possible Inventory Locations for that warehouse. The columns on that list will adjust based on the layout you selected.
5. Click Add Location.
6. Enter the location information (Area, Unit, Shelf, Bin) and click Save.
7. Repeat this manual process for any locations you need to add.
TIP: Remember, you have the alternative of specifying locations by using a CSV stock import!
8. Optional Step: Go to Products in the toolbar and select Inventory from the left-hand sidebar to see how your products with Inventory will appear:
Where we have the word Multiple highlighted in yellow, this means there are multiple Locations assigned to that product.
9.Optional Step: Click the Disclosure Triangle (blue dropdowns) to reveal where these products are!