This article covers how to ...
- Set up an Inventory Warehouse
- Create a warehouse layout
- Specify inventory locations
- Link your inventory warehouse to a Ship From Location
In order for ShipStation to track your stock levels, you need to set up at least one Inventory Warehouse and link it as an Inventory source to one of your Ship From Locations.
By linking an Inventory Warehouse to a Ship From Location, ShipStation will allocate available stock and deduct stock units from the correct location when you ship an order.
Think of this as the physical location where you store your inventory.
You can also configure your Inventory Warehouse to mirror your actual warehouse layout. For example, if your warehouse is broken down into aisles, rows, and bins, your warehouse locations may look like this: B-24-7. By adding Locations, you can have ShipStation show specifically where each item is located.
Set Up an Inventory Warehouse
1. Go to Settings in the toolbar.
2. Select Inventory Management and then Inventory Warehouse from the left-hand sidebar.
3. Click Add Inventory Warehouse, name it, and click Save.
NOTE: Feel free to use or edit the Default Warehouse that is already added by ShipStation, instead of creating a new one!
Create a Warehouse Layout
TIP: This step is not necessary to start using inventory, but can be helpful if your products are located in clearly defined locations within your warehouse.
1. Click on Manage Locations for the Inventory Warehouse you just created.
2. Click the Warehouse Layout dropdown in the top right of the pop-up window. Configure how detailed you want your inventory locations to be for each warehouse. The options are Area, Unit, Shelf, and Bin.
3. Check as many options from the Warehouse Layout dropdown (Area, Unit, Shelf, and Bin) as apply to your warehouse.
Specify Inventory Locations
1. Click Add Location in the Inventory Warehouse window (If you plan on updating your stock levels manually). Enter all of this warehouse’s Inventory Locations when the locations' boxes appear.
2. Repeat this process for all the locations you need to add.
3. Remember to click Save.
For detailed instructions on creating Inventory Locations, please read How do I set up my inventory locations?.
NOTE: If you import your new stock levels via CSV, you can also do this in bulk via CSV using the alternate method outlined in How do I set up my inventory's initial stock levels?.
Link your Inventory Warehouse to a Ship From Location
Every order in ShipStation must have a Ship From Location. By linking an Inventory Warehouse to a Ship From Location, ShipStation can allocate and deduct inventory within the warehouse.
A Ship From Location can only be linked to one Inventory Source at a time, so as long as an order has the right Ship From Location selected, you’re all set!
You can, however, use the same Inventory Warehouse as the Inventory Source for multiple Ship From Locations. This is useful if you have the same SKU in multiple locations. Using multiple Ship From Locations in this way will allow inventory to deduct from the correct place.
Follow these instructions to set up an Inventory Warehouse as the Inventory Source for a Ship From Location:
1. Go to Settings in the toolbar.
2. Select Shipping and then Ship From Location in the left-hand sidebar.
3. Click Edit for an existing Ship From Location (or click the green + Add a Ship From Location if you want to make a new one).
4. Look for the Inventory Source option in the popup, and select the Inventory Warehouse you want to link.
5. Remember to Save Changes!
TIP: The following steps ( 6 and 7) are useful but not required.
6. (This isn’t a required step.) Go to Settings > Inventory Management > Inventory Warehouses, and notice that there’s a checkmark icon in the Linked to Ship From column. This confirms the link on the Inventory Warehouses section.
7. (This also isn’t a required step.) Click Edit to see a list of all Linked Ship From Locations using that Inventory Warehouse as an inventory source!
That’s it! You’re ready to add stock.