Collect Payment On Delivery (or C.O.D.) allows for payment of a shipment to be acquired upon delivery by the carrier. If payment is not made when delivery is attempted, the parcel will be returned to sender.
ShipStation currently supports C.O.D. for FedEx and UPS shipments.
This article provides steps to:
- Apply C.O.D. to single orders
- Apply C.O.D. in bulk to multiple orders
- Apply C.O.D. using Automation Rules
When choosing the C.O.D. option, an additional inbound label is created for you to include with the outbound shipment. This is so the carrier can send you the customer's payment.
This additional C.O.D. label will look similar to this:
Use C.O.D. - Single Order
Open the Order Details for the order.
Make sure either a UPS or FedEx service has been applied to the order.
Check the Collect payment on delivery (C.O.D.) checkbox located in the Other Shipping Options panel.
Select the payment type (either Cash or Money Order/Cashier's Check) and the collection amount.
You can then continue to create the label for the order.
Use C.O.D. - Bulk Apply
If multiple orders need to have C.O.D. applied to them at the same time, you can apply a bulk action to multiple orders at once.
Select the order(s) and click Other Actions... > Apply Bulk Action... > Collect payment on delivery (C.O.D.)...
Enter the C.O.D. Details.
Apply C.O.D. Using an Automation Rule
To apply C.O.D. to orders meeting specific criteria automatically when they import, use an automation rule with the following action:
This example uses Order Tags as the criteria, but you can choose criteria to suit your needs.
- ShipStation currently only supports C.O.D. for FedEx and UPS shipments.
- Cash (physical currency) is not an available payment option for UPS's C.O.D.
- C.O.D. is only available as a domestic service, shipments to an international recipient will not allow C.O.D.
- FedEx's C.O.D. payment amount may not exceed $25,000.
- UPS's C.O.D. payment amount may not exceed $50,000.
- Additional UPS C.OD. information
- Additional FedEx C.O.D. information
- C.O.D. includes a surcharge that may greatly increase the shipping rate.