ShipStation has partnered with BigCommerce to provide our mutual users in the US with many benefits to improve shipping options and efficiency. One of those benefits is ShipStation accounts created through BigCommerce automatically have access to ShipStation Carrier Services which comes with the following carriers preconfigured in ShipStation:
- FedEx from Parcelcast
You'll be able to see rates with these services right away, but you won't be able to create shipping labels until you've entered billing information for ShipStation Carrier Services.
All labels purchased from these carriers will use a single account balance that is backed by the credit card you enter for billing.
This article covers the following topics:
- Setting up ShipStation Carrier Services
- Postage adjustments
- Canceling unused labels
- Using other postage providers with ShipStation Carrier Services
Setting up ShipStation Carrier Services
As soon as your account has been created, you'll have access to our Rate Calculator to see estimated rates and you can see rates if you click Get Rate on an order.
When you're ready to start creating labels, complete the setup process for ShipStation Carrier Services to add in your billing information.
1. Head to your Account Settings (the wrench icon in the upper right).
2. Next, select Shipping and then Carriers & Fulfillment from the sidebar on the left.
3. Click the Setup link in the ShipStation Carrier Services box.
4. Enter your billing information for the account and agree to terms and conditions.
- The billing information you enter here will only be used for postage purchased for carriers listed under ShipStation Carrier Services. These carriers will share the same pool of funds.
- Charges from ShipStation Carrier Services will appear on your credit card reports with the description “STAMPS."
Pro Tip: Take this opportunity to set up auto-funding for ShipStation Carrier Services so you do not need to manually add funds to your balance.
Once these steps have been completed, you'll be able to add funds to ShipStation Carrier Services and create shipping labels.
Check out our article on creating shipments for an overview of all the ways you can generate shipping labels in ShipStation.
When you create labels using ShipStation Carrier Services, ShipStation will subtract the estimated cost of the label from your available funds, and those funds will be used to pay for the label postage.
The estimated rate is based on the shipping details available to ShipStation:
If the actual rate of a shipment is greater than the estimated rate, ShipStation will issue an adjustment charge to make up the difference.
You have $10.00 in your available funds, and an order imports into ShipStation with a weight of 3 oz. You create a USPS First Class label for a 3oz package which costs $2.66, so your available funds are reduced to $7.34.
However, you forgot to take the additional packaging material weight into account, so USPS weighs the package at 6oz, which has a rate of $2.92 (a $0.26 difference). Since $2.66 has already been subtracted from your account funds, you'll see an additional adjustment charge of $0.26 to make up for the difference in estimated and actual shipping rate, for a final account balance of $7.08. These adjustments may appear up to 2 weeks after creating the labels.
Canceling Unused Labels
Since all labels created under ShipStation Carrier Services are pre-paid, you're paying for the label when you create it, whether it's used or not. If you create a shipping label but end up not using it, it is highly recommended that you void the shipping label to cancel it and have the funds reimbursed to your account. You have 28 days from label creation to void a shipping label.
Please see our article on voiding shipments for an overview of the void label process.
Using other postage providers with ShipStation Carrier Services
ShipStation automatically adds USPS and FedEx from Parcelcast to your account for you, but ShipStation supports other postage providers too.
- ShipStation also provides users with easy access to a DHL Express account for international shipping, but that does require some additional setup. Check out our article on DHL Express from ShipStation for details on how to register for a free account. If you qualify for a DHL Express from ShipStation account, it will be included under ShipStation Carrier Services.
Any additional postage providers you add to ShipStation (other than DHL Express from ShipStation) will not be listed under ShipStation Carrier Services. If the postage providers also allow for pre-paid postage labels (like Stamps.com or Endicia) the account funds will be managed separately from ShipStation Carrier Services.
Please check out our article on adding shipping providers for an overview on how to connect a postage provider account to ShipStation.
NOTE: At this time, ShipStation users cannot have both FedEx from Parcelcast and a personal FedEx account connected at the same time. You will need to choose whether to use FedEx from Parcelcast or your personal FedEx account. If you add your personal FedEx account, FedEx from Parcelcast will be removed, but USPS will remain active.