If you've been using UPS Worldship® to ship your orders, you may have already built a customer address book that you'd like to use in ShipStation. ShipStation cannot pull the address book from UPS directly, but you can export the data from UPS Worldship® and use the data to create a CSV file to import customer records into ShipStation.
This is a multi-step process that requires you:
- Create an export map in UPS Worldship®
- Export a file using the export map created in UPS Worldship®
- Use the information in the file to build a CSV file formatted for import into ShipStation.
- Import the ShipStation-formatted CSV into ShipStation.
This article provides step-by-step instructions below.
In UPS Worldship®...
First off, you're going to need to create an export map in UPS Worldship® that generates a CSV file.
- Open the UPS Worldship® application.
- Under Import/Export Data, select Create / Edit Map... to open the Create or edit an import or export map window.
- In the New Map section, select Export to ODBC Database.
- Select the Export CSV check box.
- Choose a Map Type of Address Book.
- Name the map, then click Create. The Edit Export to CSV Map window will appear.
- Click Add All Columns.
- Click Define CSV File Name. A Save As window will appear.
- Choose a file name, then click Save to save the export map file.
- Click OK. You'll be taken back to the Create or edit an import or export map window
- The map you created should be listed under Existing Maps. Click Close to go back to the main view of UPS Worldship®.
Now that you have a export map created to generate a CSV file, you can export the data.
- Under Import/Export Data, select Batch Export... to open the Batch export data window.
- Select the export map you created in the previous steps.
- Choose a date range for the export.
- Click Next. An Import/Export Preview window will appear.
- Verify the export details and click Next to begin the export.
- Once the export is complete, click Save and save the file to your computer.
If you're unable to perform the above steps in UPS Worldship®, you can contact UPS Worldship® support for additional assistance with their application.
In a spreadsheet application...
By this step, you should have a CSV file from UPS Worldship® which includes your address book information. However, since ShipStation requires a specific format the Customer import process, you're going to need to do a bit of file modification to get the information to match ShipStation's requirements.
- Download the CustomerImportSample.csv file, located at the bottom of this article.
- Open both CustomerImportSample.csv and the UPS Worldship® export file using the spreadsheet application of your choosing.
- Using Copy/Paste, move the information from the UPS Worldship® export file into the relevant columns on CustomerImportSample.csv. Do not change the column headers in CustomerImportSample.csv.
- When the address information has been transferred into CustomerImportSample.csv, Save the file (or use Save As... to save the file with a new name.) Be sure to retain the CSV format.
At this point, you should have a modified version of the CustomerImportSample.csv file which includes the address information exported from UPS Worldship®. The final step is importing the file into ShipStation.
- Log in to ShipStation.
- Go to the Customers tab
- Click Import. An Import Customers window will appear.
- Click Select a File.
- Select the modified version of the CustomerImportSample.csv file and click Open.
- Choose one of the options under Select Options.
- Click Start Import to import the file.
- Click Close.
See our article How do I import customers into ShipStation? for screenshots of the above steps.
ShipStation will begin to import the file, and will alert you once completed. Once the import is complete, you'll be able to see the addresses in the Customers tab in ShipStation.