Along the toolbar at the top, you may have noticed the small Rate Browser icon. This is a useful tool that can be used in different ways throughout the app.
When you need help deciding on the best carrier or service for shipping your orders, use the Rate Browser. With this tool, you can view your available choices and zero in on a good fit for a particular shipment!
Click the Rate Browser icon in the top center of the app to open the Rate Browser window.
To see available rates for a package, enter the relevant information for the shipment.
- Ship From Location
- Ship to postal code
- Residential address checkbox
- Package Type, Weight, and Dimensions
- Service Class (the type or speed of service)
When you're ready, click Browse Rates and you’ll see the carriers, service types, estimated delivery times from the carrier (if available), and rate quotes.
Create a shipment with the Rate Browser
You can also create shipments through the Rate Browser, without creating an order!
First off, you'll need to open up the rate browser, fill out the necessary details in the sidebar of the window, and click Browse Rates.
After the rates have loaded, select the Carrier and Service you want to use. You'll see that the Configure Label option becomes active after a service is selected.
Click Configure Label to move to the next step.
Next, the Rate Browser will ask you to fill in the remaining Ship To Address information for the order.
The Postal Code will be carried over from the initial Rate Browser window. There are 2 ways you can fill in the address:
- Use the Paste Entire US Address function to copy/paste the Ship To information. ShipStation will attempt to parse the address information into the relevant fields. If ShipStation isn't able to parse the address properly, you will need to manually correct the address fields.
- Manually enter the address information in each field.
If you're not confident in the address, you can verify the address in the Rate Browser by clicking the Validate Address link under the address fields. ShipStation will provide you with the standard correction for the address as entered, if available.
If you want to use the correction, click Use this Address.
After you've filled out the address fields, fill out any additional information needed in the Configure Shipment section of the window. The service, weight, dimensions, and confirmation type you entered when browsing rates should be automatically filled in, but you can adjust them before creating the label if needed. You can also Add Insurance or update the Other Options (like Saturday Delivery or Contains Alcohol) for the shipment.
If creating an international shipment, you will also need to add Customs Declarations to the shipment.
Click the Create + Print Label button (or use the dropdown to access the Create Label option) and a shipment will be created using the details you've entered into the Rate Browser.
A shipping label will be created and, depending on the option you choose, you'll either be prompted to print the label or you'll be taken to the shipment detail window that shows basic information about the shipment record.
You can print the label from there, or revisit it later on the Shipping tab and print it when you need it. See our article Print and Download Documents for more details on printing or saving shipping label documents.
If ShipStation is not able to create the label, we'll display any relevant errors so you can correct the shipping details and attempt to generate a shipment again.
Using the Rate Browser in the Configure Shipment window
You can also use a limited version Rate Browser when choosing a service in the Configure Shipment window.
To access the Rate Browser through the Configure Shipment window, click the Service dropdown and select Browse Rates at the top of the list.
The Rate Browser will load and display the available rates for connected carriers. When using the Rate Browser in this way, ShipStation will use the shipment details which are already set for the shipment.
Select the Carrier and Service you want to use and click Configure Label.
The Service you selected in the Rate Browser will be set as the Service for shipment.
Limitation of the Rate Browser
Here's a few things you should keep in mind when using the Rate Browser:
- No order or customer record is created for shipping labels created through the Rate Browser. Only a shipment record will be available on the Shipping tab.
- Return labels cannot be created through the Rate Browser at this time.
- Notification e-mails are not available for shipments created through the Rate Browser.
- Items are not included in shipments created through the Rate Browser. Packing Slips and Pick Lists generated from the shipment will not contain any product information.
- The Rate Browser is not currently available for Multi Package shipments. If a shipment is set to use Multi Package, the Browse Rates option will not appear under Services.