Returns are a common part of any eCommerce business. It's important you have the ability to create return labels so your customers can get items back to you, whether the product wasn't what they were expecting, it arrived damaged, or there was a mix up when packing the box. Check out our blog post for more reasons why returns are important for all eCommerce businesses.
This article provides information on how to create and manage your return shipments in ShipStation V3.
Table of Contents
- Create Returns
- Manage Returns
There are currently 3 ways to create return labels in V3:
- Create Return from an order
- Create Return alongside outbound shipment
- Self-service Returns through the Branded Returns Portal
Here are some things you should keep in mind when creating return labels:
- Only domestic return labels are supported. Additionally, returns are not supported for U.S. Territories or APO/FPO/DPO addresses which would require customs information for the shipment.
- The Multi Package package option is not available for return labels.
- If you have multiple accounts connected for a single carrier, return labels will always use the Primary account.
- Return labels created using prepaid postage providers - like Stamps.com or Endicia (unless you are using Pay-on-use Endicia labels) - will be charged when you create the label, regardless of whether it is used by your customer or not. You can void unused return labels for a refund, just like outbound shipping labels.
Create Return from an Order
You can create a return label for an order after a shipping label has been generated.
On the Orders or Shipping tab, locate the order you want to create a return for and click the order number to open the Order Details window.
Click Create a Return in the Shipping section of the Order Details window.
Select which products will be returned, and the quantity to be returned.
Configure the shipping details for the return label and click Create Return.
The return label will be created, and you'll be able to print or download it.
If you want to email a copy of the return label to your customer, click the Other Actions menu for the RMA (represented by ...) then click Send Return Label.
Enter the email address of your customer, or whoever will be returning the shipment, and click Send.
Create Return Label with the Outbound Label
You can create a return label at the same time you're creating an outbound shipping label.
To enable this option for a shipment, click Other Options in the Configure Shipment Widget.
Select the option Include a return label with the outgoing shipping label, and choose the Shipping Service and Package the return label will use.
Click Save Changes when you're done.
When you create the outbound shipping label for the order, ShipStation will create a return label using the Service and Package you selected, and the same Weight and Dimensions as the outbound shipment.
You can also set this option via Automation Rules. See our article Automation Rules: Explained for more information on creating Automation Rules.
Keep the following in mind when using this option:
- This option is only available for USPS, FedEx, UPS, and Canada Post shipments.
Self-service Returns Using the Branded Returns Portal
If enabled for your store, your customers will have the ability to create return labels through the Branded Returns Portal. This self-service method of returns allows your customers to create return labels when they need them, without having to contact your support team with the request.
For more information on the Branded Returns Portal, see our article How do I set up the Branded Returns Portal?
However a return is created, you can manage them in two ways:
Using the RMA Widget
To manage an individual return, click on the linked RMA number to access the RMA Widget.
There are two places you'll be able to find the linked RMA number:
- In the Order Detail window, under the Shipments.
- On the Shipments > Returns page, in the RMA # column.
The RMA Widget contains basic information about the return shipment, as well as the following actions:
- Return Label: Prints a copy of the return label.
- Other Actions
- Download Return Label: Downloads a PDF copy of the return label.
- Mark As Received or Update the Received Date: Updates the return as Received and sets the Received Date.
- Send Return Label: Emails a copy of the return label to the customer's email address.
- Void and Cancel Return: Voids the return label. If void action is successful, this will also set the return to Voided.
The Returns page
You can manage returns in bulk through the Returns page on the Shipping tab.
Go to the Shipping tab.
Go to Returns in the left-hand sidebar.
This page will list all the return labels you've created for your account, separated as Outstanding, Received, and Voided.
For returns in the Outstanding status, you can perform the following actions, available in the top-right portion of the page:
- Mark as Received: Updates the return(s) as Received and sets the Received Date.
- Return Label: Prints a copy of the return label(s). You can also download the return label(s) with this action.
- Other Actions
- Refresh Tracking: Updates the tracking status to match the latest tracking information available from the carrier.
- Send Return Label: Emails a copy of the return label(s) to the customer's email address(es).
- Void & Cancel Return: Voids the return label(s). If void action is successful, this will also set the return(s) to Voided.
For returns in the Received status, you'll also be able to perform the following action, available in the top-right portion of the page:
- Update the Received Date: Updates the Received Date for the return(s).
No actions are available for return labels in the Voided status.
Coming Soon!We understand that this does not yet match the return features of the previous version of ShipStation, and we're working on bringing more return options into V3 soon. The following features are planned for future release: